Sometimes certain patterns call out to you. As I made a doily for the doily-along in Ravelry last week, I thought I should stop, but whenever I browsed in Pinterest there would be someone who would have pinned the very same doily and I would linger over it, looking at the sheer beauty of the doily. This went on for some days and then I couldn’t resist and I immediately printed out a copy.
Once I began working on it, I realised this was more challenging than the doilies that I am used to making. This doily worked in spirals without joining and ending in each row.
I had planned to make it in three colours and had started with beige. I even took it with me during my travel but unfortunately I had messed up the count and it didn’t look good at all. So another two days were wasted as I ripped and decided on a colour.
However, this time I enlarged the picture and printed a better pattern and began in earnest with a Baroque thread in sea green. But all was not well. The thread, which I thought would be sufficient, was not enough, so I decided to do only the center flowers in green and give a white border. This doily is also a thread guzzler. I have almost finished the 50 gm ball of white. The center of the doily is done using regular treble on one side of the flower and post stitches on the other half, which gives a raised look and beautiful texture.
This doily needed more focus than the other doilies I have made. The end result is fantastic. It is a huge doily of 25 inches diameter and it has been well worth the time and effort.
Filed under: Uncategorized |